Right this moment marked the thirteenth 2021 Philadelphia Eagles coaching camp apply. It was the primary of the Birds’ two joint periods in opposition to the New England Patriots. Right here’s what I noticed! UPDATE: The BGN Radio podcast recap is stay!
• JALEN HURTS UPDATE: Extra good than unhealthy from Hurts, particularly if we weigh full crew drills as essentially the most significant analysis.
1-on-1: Hurts hit Jalen Reagor and Quez Watkins for deep touchdowns. Throws have been proper on the cash.
7-on-7: Hurts discovered Reagor over the center in a comparatively tight window.
11-on-11: Hurts related with each Dallas Goedert and Zach Ertz on crossers in stride. Although his repetitive accuracy could be missing, Hurts does a pleasant job of organising his targets for yards after the catch when he does hit them. Against this, that was not a robust swimsuit for Carson Wentz. Hurts made an actual good anticipation throw to Quez Watkins that was proper on the receiver after his break. Hurts hit Reagor deep for a landing.
On the entire, Hurts and the Eagles’ offense didn’t completely stall out in opposition to the Patriots prefer it has in opposition to the Eagles’ protection in apply.
1-on-1: Hurts was picked on a contested catch alternative for J.J. Arcega-Whiteside that the receiver misplaced. A again shoulder throw for JJAW was as an alternative thrown into the again of a Patriots defender.
7-on-7: Hurts had a brief throw to the sideline knocked down by J.C. Jackson. Hurts received picked off when a excessive throw to Goedert bounced off the tight finish’s fingers. Hurts received picked off once more when a brief throw to Kenny Gainwell over the center bounced off the rookie’s fingers. The ball might have been a tad behind the goal nevertheless it nonetheless ought to’ve been caught.
11-on-11: Hurts had Watkins open deep down the sector and seemingly noticed him however hesitated to drag the set off and as an alternative received “sacked.”
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATES: The large information is that DeVonta Smith (knee) continues to get nearer to returning. Smith was formally upgraded from “day-to-day” to “restricted” in as we speak’s apply. Smith had pads on and did some working on a facet discipline together with John Hightower (groin). Looks like Smith must be again in full subsequent week on the newest.
Okay’Von Wallace (groin) was additionally upgraded to “restricted” after beforehand being described as “week-to-week.”
Kerryon Johnson (knee) is “week-to-week.” Not good for his roster probabilities as he tries to win a spot in a crowded backfield.
Joe Ostman (concussion) is “day-to-day.”
Darius Slay received shaken up after a giant collision in the midst of the sector. He remained on the sideline, although, and gave the impression to be OK. He was jovial after apply.
Luke Juriga received banged up at one level in apply. He was evaluated within the tent however returned to the sideline to look at the remainder of Monday’s motion.
Andre Dillard (knee), who remains to be “week-to-week,” was carrying a sleeve and brace on his proper leg.
• Wasn’t very impressed by Cam Newton or Mac Jones. And it’s fully potential they’re not good. Nonetheless, give the Eagles’ protection credit score for taking part in properly. They didn’t enable the Pats to maneuver the ball with ease. Additionally they stopped the Pats in a crunch time scenario with Javon Hargrave pressuring Newton into throwing a choose proper to Eric Wilson.
• I assumed this was one in every of Reagor’s higher practices of the summer time. That’s not a really excessive bar to clear, to be clear. Nonetheless, there have been some encouraging moments, together with when he burned J.C. Jackson for deep catches in each 1-on-1 and 11-on-11. The one disadvantage is that Reagor bobbled each of them as an alternative of catching them clear. That must be ironed out. It appeared like Reagor caught a landing on the ultimate play of a simulated crunch time scenario however the ref standing proper subsequent to him stated he was out of bounds. To reiterate a earlier basic commentary, Reagor has appeared considerably higher in 1-on-1 than 11-on-11 drills.
• Joe Flacco made among the finest throws of camp when he lofted a ball to Andre Patton (!) within the again proper nook of the tip zone throughout a crunch time drill. Patton’s been fairly strong relative to expectation as a camp physique. Flacco has talked about with the ability to belief him to be in the suitable locations. On the draw back, Flacco did sail a go to Jason Croom (who’s again in crew drills) after which Kenny Gainwell deep alongside the suitable sideline.
• Darius Slay received his 1-on-1 reps in opposition to previous buddy Nelson Agholor. Slay disallowed a deep connection by disrupting the receiver’s route. Slay then broke up a shorter Cam Newton throw to Agholor.
• The Eagles’ beginning protection solely allowed one noteworthy catch to Agholor. Agholor did feast in opposition to Philly’s backup, although. Agholor burned Michael Jacquet and Zech McPhearson on totally different events. Agholor fell down on a downfield goal from Newton with Avonte Maddox in protection. Agholor wished a flag however the refs didn’t oblige. True to kind, Agholor additionally dropped a downfield goal.
• Fletcher Cox had a “sack” on Newton.
• Alex Singleton almost picked off Newton twice in 7-on-7. The linebacker did job of studying the quarterback’s eyes. Couldn’t cling on to the bullet passes, although.
• Steven Nelson had a go breakup whereas overlaying N’Keal Harry in 1-on-1.
• Quez ran an actual crisp route in 1-on-1 to beat Jackson. He then jawed on the cornerback just a little after the play. Later in apply, Watkins was just a little heated speaking to Matt Judon after the Pats received known as for being offside. The teaching workers pulled Watkins again in direction of the huddle to get to the following play. Don’t thoughts seeing some hearth out of Quez.
• Miles Sanders is as much as no less than 4 drops in camp. Right this moment’s drop got here when he was extensive open within the flat. Not very encouraging on the subject of him rebounding in that division this season.
• Tyree Jackson dropped two passes. His fingers have been fairly good on the entire however he struggled as we speak.
• Derek Barnett completely CRUSHED Patriots tight finish Matt LaCosse on a play the place the defensive finish dropped again into protection. It was a bang-bang play that brought about LaCosse to go away apply early and never return.
• Newton threw two hospital balls the place Marcus Epps was in place to utterly deck the receiver on each reps had they been in an precise recreation setting. Epps nonetheless managed to pressure an incompletion on one in every of them.
• Although he typically received beat in protection, Jacquet did pull off a Peanut Punch for a pressured fumble. The Eagles have been particularly emphasizing attacking the ball in camp and it paid off there.
• Andrew Adams dropped two arm punt picks thrown by Mac Jones. Gotta have ‘em.
• Josiah Scott had a tough go in 1-on-1 drills and dropped a choose later in apply.
• Nick Mullens had a choose dropped on a fast slant throw.
• Nick Sirianni yelled at Hakeem Butler from about 50 yards away after the receiver initially made a pleasant contested catch however kinda carelessly dropped it as he went to the bottom. Sirianni was vocally fired up at occasions as we speak.
UP NEXT: The Eagles and Patriots will face one another once more in tomorrow’s apply beginning at 10:00 AM ET. Keep tuned to BGN for full protection, as all the time.